The First Baptist Church of Comanche, Texas.
A continuing story…
The First Baptist of Comanche has a history dating back to 1874. It was on February 21, 1874, that Jonathan Milner, along with a group of sixteen other people, organized the Comanche Baptist Church as served as its first pastor. A year later, Rev. T.J. Harris assumed the role of pastor.
In 1882, E.B. Featherstone became the pastor of Comanche Baptist, and oversaw the construction of the church’s first building, which was located at the corner of Duncan and Mary Street. Comanche Baptist continued to fulfill its mission to spread the Gospel throughout its community, which eventually to W.L. Skinner accepting the call to serve at the church’s first full-time pastor in 1893.
It was around this time on October 23, 1896, that the state charter to have the name of our church changed was approved. Our name was formally changed to the First Baptist Church of Comanche, a name that has been with us for 120 years!
In 1925, a new three-story red brick church building was constructed at our present location on Houston Street. It was during this time that our church experienced sustained numerical and spiritual growth!
From 1947-1952, Arthur Johnson served as our pastor, and it was during this time that FBC first averaged over three hundred in Sunday School attendance!
From 1952-1964, Henry M. Chambers served as our pastor, maintaining and building off of the good work God did through Rev. Johnson.
John C. Wiles then served as our pastor from 1964-1973. During his tenure as our pastor, the present church sanctuary and fellowship hall were constructed and dedicated on January 25, 1970. And, in 1971, our church started the Comanche Child Care ministry.
In 1973, Sue Gibson was called to serve as our Music Minister, a role she held in our church for 27 years! Today, she remains a member of our church and still uses her musical talent to bring glory to God.
From 1974-1982, Kenneth Vaughn became our pastor. During this time, he oversaw the demolition of our old three-story brick building and the construction of a new education building that was completed and dedicated on August 30, 1981. That building remains apart of FBC today!
Starting in 1982, Sam Randolph was called to serve as pastor at FBC. For 14 years, Pastor Randolph increased our resources to help minister to our community. Our church purchased buildings across the street from the old Comanche High School, and even today, we use these buildings for the benefit of our ministry and our community! The old Home Economics building was used as a youth building and the old gym was converted for use as the Comanche Child Care Center.
Starting in 1997, our current pastor, Dr. Van Christian, was called to FBC Comanche. Dr. Christian is and remains the longest-tenured pastor in the history of FBC. Many important ministries such as Mission Comanche, Community Rehab, and the Shower Trailer disaster relief ministry that began in our church under his leadership still continue today. The old high school Ag building was purchased and renovated as a new youth building, and a new state-of-the-art sound system was installed in the auditorium.
The history of our church goes all the way back to 1874, and we give the glory to God for all that has been done to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ through our words and actions! We look forward to see where our God will lead us as we continue to be followers of Jesus Christ in Comanche, TX today!